PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Blood Pressure
Thread: Blood Pressure
View Single Post
Old 29th Sep 2013, 22:42
BWBI

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Take my advice from experience! 4 years ago I was suffering from high blood pressure and although on medication neither myself or my then GP were taking things as seriously as I should as I was feeling great and no apparent other problems!

I went for my Class 2 Medical with my AME and again although my blood pressure was raised it was within limits and again no apparent problems!

2 weeks later whilst at work I suffered a TIA ( minor stroke if there is such a thing! ) and totally lost my speech and some use of my right arm - very frightening! I was hospitalised and given a new drug which was on trial which probably saved my speech. The trade off was that it could have caused another stroke or heart attack but I signed the consent form and took the chance on the Consultants advice! The CAA understandably withdrew my medical!

Gradually over time my speech returned virtually ok but slower and slightly slurred especially when tired, it was a long process of speech therapy etc. My right arm recovered within days.

The CAA medical people were very helpful and suggested I try for a NPPL and Doctors Medical providing my Doctor was prepared to sign the form. My Doctor said she was prepared to sign the form providing my Consultant was also supportive and I undertook a Tred mill test.

Eventually after all these hoops and hurdles and time with an instructor to satisfy myself I could handle the RT I was back flying again in my own aircraft firstly flying solo or with a qualified Pilot and after 12 months of incident free flying my Doctor signed the Class 2 NPPL Medical so that I could take non Pilot passengers

Not taking blood pressure seriously nearly cost me my life and certainly caused me a whole of lot of hassle and I was extremely fortunate to get back flying again

I changed my Doctor and now have a lady who is very supportive to my flying activities and I have to take a cocktail of daily drugs but my BP is now totally controlled with very little in the way of side effects.

A few months ago I was invited to London by The Stroke Association to undertake tests to assist their Research into Strokes that affect speech. Part of this process involved being placed in a scanner which showed the very small area of my brain which had been damaged, it was a very sobering experience.

So in short if you have blood pressure issues do not take them lightly and challenge your Doctor if you feel that more should be done and above all else take medication if it is needed to control your BP as strokes effect all ages right down to babies