PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - He stepped on the Rudder and redefined Va
Old 29th Sep 2013, 21:57
AirRabbit

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mr. Teldorserious:

May I ask that you clear up something that is bothering me? Am I reading your posts correctly by understanding that when you started flying you were trained, and trained well, but were never trained, at any point in your career, to NOT apply full rudder in either direction – and specifically were NOT trained to never move any flight control from its hard-stop in one direction to its hard-stop in the opposite direction as fast as you are able? Further, am I understanding you to say that it is because of this absence of training in this specific area, you have determined independently that it must be permissible to apply full flight control input, for any flight control, to its mechanical or aerodynamic limits, in either direction, and then to rapidly move that control in the opposite direction to the opposite mechanical or aerodynamic limits? Or are you saying that you were specifically trained, and if not trained, at least told, that moving this control to one of its directional limits and then rapidly moving that control to the opposite limit, was an acceptable behavior in whatever airplane you were currently training to fly?

I ask this specifically in light of the fact that the AA587 accident airplane FDR readouts clearly show that this is precisely what the F/O did. And in light of your answers to my questions above, we might be able to discern that you are convinced that the accident resulted from inappropriate actions by that F/O or you are convinced that the accident resulted from operating an airplane that was built and certificated in accordance with grossly inadequate standards.

Thanks in advance for your clarifications.

Last edited by AirRabbit; 29th Sep 2013 at 21:59.