PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Virgin Australia (NZ) Pilots Strike Notice
Old 29th Sep 2013, 18:32
JPJP

Received 21 Likes on 6 Posts
-ad-astra

Whether I or anyone else in VAA, Jetstar, Qantas, Air New Zealand or any of the other carriers fly their routes will be up to the individual and their individual circumstances.

I would ask the same question of you and whether you would fly or tell the company that you are not going to comply with their directions due to moral reasons if that was your opinion.

Perhaps the solution of calling in sick placates ones concience very nicely but if it came down to the crunch and it was the difference between driving home to tell ones family that you have been stood down without pay ufn due to supporting the industrial action of another union in another country or complying with the companies roster then I would be most interested to hear both your opinion and your wifes reaction should you choose to be honest with the company.

Perhaps sitting on the sidelines sipping ones coffee and decrying the sadness of the situation is a little easier than being involved.

I am sure the armchair experts will have a field day on this thread but it does seem that the most sensible and realistic posts are emanating from those that are actually in VAA and VNZ.

Perhaps that is a good thing!

Ad Astra,

I'm not sure sure wether I'd call myself an armchair expert, nor would I call myself an expert in this field. Thankfully. I've never held a union position. I have unfortunately been involved in a strike vote and walked an informational picket line. It's an ugly situation and one that I hope neither you or your fellow pilots have to be involved with.

To answer your question - I decided a long time ago that I'd never cross a picket line and I would never fly struck work. I know that my union would support this view. The vital part is the fact that my fellow pilots feel the same way. There are still many flight decks in this country that hold a scab list. They still get used.

In my opinion, there is a difference between the two situations that you referenced;

a) VAA or VANZ flying Qantas passengers is not seen as crossing the line. Unions believe that type of action actually helps, as it theoretically puts pressure on the management of the struck company by ceding market share temporarily.

b) VAA pilots flying VANZ routes would be crossing the line. They have the same upper management, and it weakens whatever leverage is perceived by VANZ pilots. You all work for the same people. The geography or subsidiary argument is irrelevant in my humble opinion.

All of this is thankfully theoretical. You made two excellent points; the law, and the directives from your individual union leadership. I understand that you are perhaps an examiner or a check airmen ? This also further complicates the issue.

Excuse the long reply. Best of luck.