PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - VISION THREAD (other than colour vision) 2
Old 29th Sep 2013, 15:37
HighintheSkies

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Dream not becoming true?

Hello, everyone!

My name is Richard, I'm 17 and I have been in love with aviation since my childhood. I still got 1-2 years left in school but as I'm thinking ahead , I decided to go check my medical according to JAA 1st Class Requirements with some local doctors. Everything was quite well till I got results from my eye doctor. She told me I got (Microstrabismus + Astigmatismus myopicus) which results in my vision alternating from Binocular to monocular and that I will never become a commercial pilot. But as I am an optimist, I also made contact with another doctor which says that he thinks there is no point in having a corrective operation , because it will most likely result in double vision and that I will still not achieve binocularity. So my questions for you guys are:
1.) Has anyone of you guys had similar problem, which you have fixed with operation or in any other way?
2.) Can I become a commercial pilot in other places like America or Australia with this kind of problem?
3.) Is there a chance that in few years this restriction will be uplifted?

This is a real shame. Most doctors think they are heroes, because they are saving the day by not letting guys like me to fly , but the only thing that they are doing is breaking our dreams!

I am very keen for your answers guys!