PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - VISION THREAD (other than colour vision) 2
Old 29th Sep 2013, 15:33
Otford15

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Still unclear

Hi, thanks for your explanation. It seems that you know what you are talking about so I'm going to pose another question or two to you.

I have been scouring the forums to determine whether I can pass the vision requirements for the EASA Medical 1.

We are all aware of the following requirement, but the part in bold is what is confusing.

At initial examination an applicant may be assessed as fit with:
(i) hypermetropia not exceeding +5.0 dioptres;
(ii) myopia not exceeding –6.0 dioptres;
(iii) astigmatism not exceeding 2.0 dioptres;
(iv) anisometropia not exceeding 2.0 dioptres
provided that optimal correction has been considered and no significant pathology is demonstrated.

I have astigmatism of 2.25 (my prescription is -1.25, -2.25 one eye, with a similar presciption in the other, but not quite so bad). With glasses, my vision is excellent with full 20/20 vision in both eyes. Does the bold part of the requirement above mean that my vision is acceptable as "optimal correction has been considered" (i.e. my glasses fully correct the error?)

Also, some people seem to suggest that it is possible to get the FAA medical certification in the US (which doesn't have the astigmatism requirement) and then apply for an EASA Class 1 recertification, which also allows for greater astigmatism. Does anyone know if that is really that case? If you have the FAA cert, do you have to meet the initial or recertification EASA requirements?

Thanks in advance to any responses.