PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - NS Safety improvements?
View Single Post
Old 29th Sep 2013, 15:13
Hummingfrog

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
In my time flying in the NS there were perhaps only a couple of evolutions that I felt could be on the limit of safe operations.

These were:-

1. Night decks to a small deck which was at the limit of pitch roll and heave. It was always interesting that when deck parameters were broadcast they were often just below our published limits! (which of course the ship operators knew).

A night deck was the only time that I did an emergency pull away as I felt it was going wrong. It was important to make sure you had a good excess power margin as in this case I pulled full power as I rotated into forward flight.

2. Approaches onto rigs whose decks were in the "turbulent sector". I spent many years on the 40s whose decks where notorious for turbulence and wind reversal over the deck when the wind was from the SW. We were allowed an extra 10 kts on the limiting wind speed as we were experienced on making approaches in these conditions. The approaches were challenging and it wasn't unusual to get a large nose up attitude as the tail was "hit" by the wind reversal and you had to hold the a nose down attitude as you knew that ground effect would come into play as you levelled for the landing. It was always interesting to see the "eyes on stalks" of first time passengers as they disembarked!!

3. Poor allocation of crew experience by the ops cell. When I first joined the NS after 20yrs in the RAF I was surprised that there was no thought of matching crew experience/personality. In the RAF a lot of effort was placed in making sure that crew experience/personality was correct. In the NS it was just filling the capt and co-pilot positions from the pool available that day. Several accidents have had crew gradient as a contributory factor.

NS operations can be challenging and it is practice as well as good training which will keep it a safe operation. I was very confident as a night flyer as I did at least 28 night approaches (and sometimes 100+) each month during the winter. I wasn't as confident doing night approaches to moving decks as I did so few. It is interesting that DB hasn't done a night deck for 3 years!

The old adage train hard fight easy applies to the NS and the companies have to have solid SOPs which will allow pilots to have experience as well as practice on the less common evolutions in the NS.

HF