PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - How the Military and RAF are perceived by the general public
Old 29th Sep 2013, 12:58
strake

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Possibly part of the problem is that unlike a number of other countries, the Great British Public have little or no exposure to military personnel. Apart from television, they wouldn't normally see people of any rank in uniform.
Contrast this with a visit I made yesterday to an air display in SW France. Lots of Growbags as expected but also numbers of uniformed ranks and officers (including a General) mingling and talking with the crowds. It was an excellent opportunity to see them in their environment, displaying military courtesy to one another as they went about their business.
Much the same in the USA. If you live in Washington or near a military base, your commute will be with uniformed personnel.

PS Hope nobody minds a slight drift ref the airshow, most impressive with various Mirage, Alpha variants but the highlight had to be Rafale. I like this video taken at sunset. I think it shows form and function at its best