PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Non type rated easyjet recruitment?
View Single Post
Old 29th Sep 2013, 10:00
Captthunder

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Adm - I think the reason some people have accused you of being arrogant on here (and I am not one of those people) is that a lot of your posts sound like you may think that easyJet are doing us a favour by offering us a job.

If I were a cadet looking for my first flying job, I may well agree with you. However I am a professional pilot with over 7000hrs flying experience. Most of the guys I met during the recruitment process had lots of similar experience. I can tell you without exaggerating that I had an excellent assessment day & sim session.

To expect a professional pilot with years of experience to give up a secure and well paid job, hand over £24k for a type rating, not pay them for 2 months whilst their training and paying for their own accommodation (the whole thing would cost me around £35 - £40k) for a job worth an unknown amount in the first year and no guarantees of a second year simply isn't gonna cut the mustard.

I was very much looking forward to a career in easyJet. However, loosing £40k in cash and loss of earnings even before I have started work and then sweating on whether there will be a job at the end of year one is not for me. It would take me around 5 - 7 years to recover this "investment" if everything went according to plan and that assumes theres no downturn in the meantime. I suspect that the only people you'll get taking this scheme are those who hate their jobs and the desperate (no disrespect intended).

Incidentally since applying to easyJet, I have had two more job offers and have two more interviews lined up. None of these prospective employers have asked me to pay for a type rating or go unpaid for a few months, let alone take a temporary contract paying me by the hour, with no minimum guarantee. They are investing in me and I am committing to them. One thing people should not forget is that companies are run by people - a lot of these people have been in our shoes in the past.

As I have said before, theres lots of movement in our industry. Hopefully there will be lots more movement and conditions will improve as airlines have to start treating people fairly to attract them.

It would be financial suicide to accept a job with easyJet so they are doing me no favours whatsoever. If anything, they've made the decision quite easy for me. I suspect the majority of professional pilots who have been offered the same deal will agree and you will be left employing the bottom of the barrel, all worrying about how much debt their in.

Of course, safety is our number one priority.

Last edited by Captthunder; 29th Sep 2013 at 12:28.