PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - He stepped on the Rudder and redefined Va
Old 29th Sep 2013, 09:55
Chris Scott

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
This has been an interesting and illuminating discussion, thanks!

Quote from tdracer:
I don't seem to recall anyone ever claiming that the 707 airframe wasn't robust.

When I did my base training with AA at DFW in 1975, I was surprised that no attempt was made to demonstrate dutch roll characteristics and recovery at altitude, even though the a/c was equipped with only one yaw damper. (BTW, I'm not suggesting that dutch roll recovery by the pilot would involve any use of rudder.) Four years earlier, my VC10 conversion had included several full demonstrations (up to about 40 degrees of bank) and recovery. The VC10 has(d) 3 independent rudders, each with a yaw damper.
One possible interpretation was that the a/c was not inclined to serious dutch roll at altitude - we all know that it would on the approach. On reflection, I'm wondering if the B707 airframe, specifically the vertical surfaces, may have been merely adequate for the regs? Has anyone got a copy of Davies to hand?

Quote from flarepilot:
that plane would still be flying if it had a rudder limiter based upon speed. at low speed full throw, at higher speeds less throw.

It has precisely that.

Clandestino,
Your posts are always well-informed, but could I respectfully suggest that you might resist the temptation to nit-pick the statements of those posters with whom you are broadly in agreement, and that you allow for the context in which they are made, and the audience? I'm sure you don't mean to sound arrogant..

Quote from Teldoserious:
Must be fun to get an Airbus type...

Indeed it is! The OP has made some unsupportable assertions (not all as cliched as the above), and in doing so has done us readers a favour by provoking the authoritative contributions of AirRabbit, Owain, and some others.