PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - He stepped on the Rudder and redefined Va
Old 29th Sep 2013, 08:54
BBK

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
It seems some posters on here have been drinking from the fountain of knowledge and some only gargled!

Air rabbit, Owain G et al

Some interesting info so thanks for posting. My vague recollection, from reading Flight International, was that the problem was largely due to the large rudder input and then the REVERSAL afterwards.

From a line pilot's point of view I cannot envisage why the FO would have thought that such inputs were necessary. No criticism implied- there but for the grace of God etc. Apart from an engine out condition one doesn't touch the rudder in normal ops. In an extreme attitude then of course it may help to use rudder eg high bank angle with the nose yawing below the horizon. I believe that was an example described in the American Airlines training video that I watched many years ago. That video was withdrawn from use after this crash.

The other point I have had drummed into me is that with powered flying controls one has to treat such controls with more than a little respect. With the rudder in particular it is a large control surface and and so, for example, when cycling the rudder on the pre take off checks one must do so SLOWLY!

BBK