PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Lightning crash
Thread: Lightning crash
View Single Post
Old 29th Sep 2013, 08:22
ancientaviator62

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Lightning crash

I am currently reading 'Lightning Eject' by Peter Caygill. On page 19 her refers to the crash of XN785 and the death of F/O George Davie of 92 Sqn, and seems to suggest that the BOI got it wrong by the implication that the a/c had run out of fuel.
I was a J/T on 92 at the time and my recollection of the event is that we (the groundcrew) were told that he had run out of fuel, the engines wound down and that had caused the generators to fail. Can anyone shed any light on other possible reasons for the crash that were mooted at the time ? (Caygill does allude to DC pump problems but gives no source for his statement). Although no doubt exhilarating for the pilots to fly the Lighning was a servicing nightmare for all trades, with AC failures being particularly prevalent.
Whilst I was on the squadron we alas became very proficient at 'rest on your arms reversed' as we also lost F/L 'Mac' Cameron in a Hunter and a SNCO who committed suicide.
Memory is an odd thing but in my mind's eye I can still see all three chaps very clearly.