PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - NS Safety improvements?
View Single Post
Old 29th Sep 2013, 07:17
Ray Joe Czech

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
TM

A bit harsh RJC, there have been plenty of scientific studies conducted which have not been prompted by an accident (helideck lighting?)
True, and other stuff like triggered lightning. But it is a very patchy picture and any big money items like PC2e just get punted into the future (unless you are in Eire that is).

There seems to be a hatred of the customer by NS pilots, these discussions always seem to generate into "customers need to pay more" or the transport budget is only x% etc (which is a very over simplistic argument).
Well, I cannot speak for other pilots but I don't. Some of the oil companies strike me as very well organised smart outfits, others not so much, but I don't have that kind of response because I am not a 13-year-old.
As to the question of the transport budget being x%, of course it is. They will have a budget set just like every other department, they aren't just told to spend what they want.

It's your helicopter companies you should be talking to. If there are genuine safety issues which need to be addressed, then ask your companies to address them with improved technology or procedures. Industry will pay, passengers will demand it.
None of the helicopter companies will do anything radically different from the others as they don't want to put themselves at a competitive disadvantage, which is why any change probably needs to be driven by the client.

So instead of blaming the oil companies, look inward, you might be surprised at what you see. If you want runways, go and fly a plane because you are in the wrong business.
Look, you can agree with me or disagree with me, it is entirely up to you. But suggesting that I either put my big boy pants on or pi$$ off isn't the most helpful response to someone who is trying to point out things that could perhaps be done more safely.