PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Pilot suffers cardiac arrest in flight
View Single Post
Old 29th Sep 2013, 04:46
tdracer

Received 180 Likes on 88 Posts
Fox News has a picture of the pilot - he was definitely a big guy, but didn't appear to be 'fat' - overweight perhaps but not 'fat'.

There is a big difference between 300 lbs. on a 6' 6" frame - especially if it's an active person, and 300 lbs. on a 5' 6" couch potato.

I'm not a fitness freak, but I've exercised regularly 4 to 5 times a week since my early 20's. Yet I had a heart attack 15 years ago - I was 42 at the time. My lower center cardiac artery was completely blocked (I was apparently really lucky - a physicians assistant buddy told me they call that "The Widow Maker" - it's usually fatal). I wasn't overweight, didn't smoke (it was almost funny - in the hospital they just assumed I was a smoker - an apparently fit guy having a heart attack at 42. When asked how much I smoked I said I didn't, nurse asked when I quit and I said I never started - the nurse just looked at me funny like I must be lying).
Angioplasty and a stint, back at work a week later with a newfound respect for modern medicine. A week after that I did a stress test and the cardiologist pronounced my heart just fine.

Due to an international assignment, between Boeing and my person doctor I'd had 5 physicals over the previous 4 years - none had noted anything abnormal with my heart.

Sometimes just happens.