PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - FAA to permit electronic devices during all flight phases
Old 29th Sep 2013, 01:45
mixduptransistor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cyflyer
As far as I'm concerned, and something that has been omitted from this discussion, is the anti-social aspect of this matter, the way electronic devices affect others around the user in close quarters enviroment of an airliner. Can you imagine sitting next/behind/infront to someone who won't stop yakking on the telephone throughout the flight ???????? You'd want to rip out of his/her hand and ram it down his/her throat. Imagine more than one person around you doing that, then imagine them doing that during a night flight when you are trying to sleep ! Or the moron thats hogging the toilets because he's busy having a telephone converstion while on the john. Or someone who insists on listening to their own phone provided music aloud without earphones. No, these devises should remain banned if not for the safety aspect, then for this very important social aspect.
I agree, telephony should be restricted. I don't see that as the FAA's place, though, and should be left up to the airlines. The FAA should only restrict things for valid safety reasons. Remember that planes used to have air phones (and I assume a few probably still do?) Maybe they could put a femtocell on the plane and charge a premium for in-flight calls.

And, it's possible to use electronic devices without being a jerk, so blanket "you can't use something that looks like a phone or makes voice calls" ban isn't fair to everyone else, especially since these days anything with internet connectivity can make a voice call.