PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - He stepped on the Rudder and redefined Va
Old 28th Sep 2013, 20:33
AirRabbit

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mr. Teldorserious – as I said earlier in this thread, throughout my tenure on this forum (and others) I’ve attempted to maintain at least some decorum in what I consider to be a rather professional discussion – as is typical of this forum. I don’t know your level of education – or the level of understanding you have – with regard to airplane construction and/or certification issues and, neither do you know mine. I have attempted to point you toward the regulatory requirements for the use of rudder in transport category airplanes. Yet you seem to be enamored with the concept of relying on what you “know” about airplane structures issues. With no attempt to insult you, I sincerely believe that regardless of the proficiency you now have in an airplane, if you were to broaden your knowledge of aircraft certification requirements and flight testing procedures, you would probably elevate that proficiency by a substantial margin. Of course, I have only the option of recommending that you do so … and, as to your comment on the rest of the participants on this forum “…thinking that articulation substitutes for knowledge…” I do not believe that to be true – even to the smallest level. Additionally, the “baloney” you believe I’m trying to force you to eat, may just be the “meat ‘n potatoes” on which you rely each time you say or hear “gear up.” In an attempt to get you to recognize the accuracy of your position, without causing you any potential embarrassment, I would humbly suggest you find an aeronautical engineer in whom you have substantial confidence and ask him/her to explain to you the potential results of applying rudder in the way the FDR assuredly shows was applied aboard AA587. Simplistically, if you ask this engineer his/her opinion of the results of a transport category airplane experiencing 7 control wheel reversals and 5 rudder pedal reversals, to the same magnitudes and at the same altitudes and airspeeds experienced by AA587 (which I presume you recognize to be well below Vne), all within 7 seconds, as recorded on the AA587 FDR, perhaps this engineer can explain the results better than I have apparently been able to explain. AND, should it be that you are, indeed, correct, I would you suggest you run, not walk, to the FAA and secure a consulting gig with them to rewrite their regulations for certification of transport category airplanes – as that would surely put some substantial coin in your pocket due to the significant amount of errors that must surely exist in those documents.