PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Engine out terrain clearance
View Single Post
Old 28th Sep 2013, 10:04
john_tullamarine

Received 97 Likes on 65 Posts
I have never seen any company analyse obstructions at any distance - the only note I have EVER seen is 'ensure en-route MSA achieved' which is pretty logical, really.

On my watch we made sure that the flight was covered for the entire sector so that I slept comfortably at night. When I flew for AN, their ops eng section were similarly conservative .. TN was much the same.

Clearly, we are all aware of those operators which choose to cut corners .. Centaurus used to fly for one which just didn't bother to worry about some difficult obstacles ...

If a runway is clearly not critical, a general SOP protocol is fine .. but, if that is not the case, then it is appropriate for the operator to do the sums to make it OK.

It may be a 'very restrictive sledgehammer' but in the absence of anything else to hit it with how are we supposed not to 'hit it'?

As per the previous comment

As an aside, I once flew with a Captain who INSISTED I refuse the initial clearance to FL60 out of Venice (UK bound) as it was 'not high enough for the Alps'. VCE ATC were slightly surprised and I persuaded him to accept it rather than return to stand

We have all had our modest burdens to bear ...