PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - NS Safety improvements?
View Single Post
Old 28th Sep 2013, 09:02
HeliComparator

Received 39 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by Nf stable
HC, has anyone ever come to grief on a localiser/DME approach whilst operating in the North Sea before? I don't my history well enough to give a definitive answer on this, but not that I can recall.
So does this mean prior to a couple of months ago, we would not be able to list this either???

Personally I also support Cyclics' suggestion on night bow decks and night unstable decks. There have been very close calls during these operations (rumoured, of course) by at least two of the companies in the near past that have gone "un-reported", but just because they didn't go splash, are you saying that we can't consider them dangerous?

HC, perhaps it's your "lack of understanding" on this thread that may need to change.
I am not aware of any "close calls" in our company. People feeling uncomfortable, yes. But that can be healthy as I have suggested.

Your point about the Loc approach really makes my point - something as seemingly benign as that would not have been on this thread's radar last year (if there had been such a thread). But looking at the fixed wing data, it seems that maybe its something we could have been taking more seriously had we scientifically, rather than emotionally, evaluated the risks.

If this thread is to just become a pilot whinge-fest, an opportunity will be lost. Could I suggest that before posting that "we don't like bow decks" etc, some thought is put into exactly why, what the real risks are, rather than just that they make us feel uncomfortable.

So no, I don't think I have a lack of understanding on safety matters. Its an area where I have done a considerable amount of work and research.

Last edited by HeliComparator; 28th Sep 2013 at 09:06.