PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - NEWQUAY
Thread: NEWQUAY
View Single Post
Old 27th Sep 2013, 15:53
GROUNDHOG

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
One of the difficulties would be that around one in five of the Cornish population is directly involved in tourism and many more rely on tourists to support their shops and businesses, they cannot usually take holidays in the summer months.

The economy is one of the poorest in the UK and has a GDP of just 62%
of the national average and whilst things are changing thanks to EU grants in part, in general most Cornish folk will holiday more modestly than take longer haul. ALC, AGP,PMI etc are not really winter sun destinations so unlikely to attract much support.

Against this background I doubt there is sufficient support to run 'sun' destinations from NQY in any volume since we also have Exeter just up the road.

I have doubts even mighty easyjet will have a once a day service that lasts very long but then we go back to the old catch 22 situation. You need frequency, smaller aircraft.... and somewhere to land them in London to make that viable.

Finally on the subject of ASW and its deliberate destruction by SHH, that is not the impression I got, I am sure the board would wanted millions in contribution from its airline but that was not happening.

I am waiting until the dust settles before my next move?