PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Pilot suffers cardiac arrest in flight
View Single Post
Old 27th Sep 2013, 15:09
CanadianAirbusPilot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Copied and pasted from another news outlet..

Passenger Ken Martin says a woman sitting next to him volunteered to help perform CPR because she is a first year resident doctor. She told Martin the pilot was a heavy man, weighing more than 300 pounds, and they had to move him out of the cockpit and into the first class cabin to perform CPR.

Perhaps with some pilots electing to fly past 60 and others "obese" perhaps it's time the likes of FAA, TC, JAA actually take these medicals seriously... A 300 lbs pilot should not be at control of an airplane in my mind. Give them a gym membership and a few months off, get below a threshold and have the company Docs continue to monitor his condition and progress. Overweight is one thing but 300 lbs (unless he is 8 foot tall) is not good at all.

It is very sad that this gentleman had to lose his life over it, and I know not everyone is into fitness and proper diet with the same interest as others but there really should be a minimum acceptable level and once surpassed you have to get yourself back to that minimum healthy (ish) standard in order to fly... With the sedentary lifestyle that pilots are at risk of falling into I think everyone should do a better job from us as pilots, to our unions/pilot associations and the companies in order to promote better health.