PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Access to PA46 in SE England
View Single Post
Old 27th Sep 2013, 13:03
AdamFrisch

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
There used to be at least two based at Lydd when I lived in England. One was a N-reg and the other was a G-reg. One was for sure part of a group or at least possible to rent, because I tried to myself. This is closer to 4 years ago, so things change obviously. Maybe someone with more current info can help? As for turboprops being harder to fly, I would think they're easier, rather. Much less management than a HP piston. It's a constant fiddle with piston engines. That said, the TP's not only burn more, but you're relegated to the higher levels if you want to see much economy with them.

My neighbour at my mechanics in the US just had his TBM700 PT6 overhauled - north of $300K! You can overhaul a lot of twin pistons for that price and only get marginally better performance... I started a thread some time ago comparing the case for the new single, turbine or not, vs. an older twin in regards to economy. You'll see that almost never is the new single a cheaper option. But if you want something new, and don't mind the excess that will cost you, then obviously I have no argument. Anyway, here it is:

http://www.pprune.org/private-flying...lder-twin.html

As for the Matrix - the feature I like the most with my Aerostar is the pressurisation. Don't leave home without it.

Last edited by AdamFrisch; 27th Sep 2013 at 14:41.