PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Access to PA46 in SE England
View Single Post
Old 27th Sep 2013, 10:59
hegemon88

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Access to PA46 in SE England

Hello All,

I would like to ask if anyone has heard about any PA46s for hire in a reasonable distance from London.

Background: I am a PPL without CPL ambitions, but on the right path to IR(A), usually flying PA28s, from a Warrior to a Dakota. Some of my potential trips in the near future are longer than others and some of my pax would like more cabin comfort than others I started considering stepping up to a PA46 at some point, a Matrix/Mirage initially but give it another 1-2 years of flying and I'd start eyeing up the turboprops i.e. Meridians or JetProp conversions. Of course, that leads to a lot of questions and concerns, including whether my naive thinking that it is a path for me, makes any sense.
  • It's all very nice to daydream about flying around Europe in a turboprop: going high and fast, burning cheaper fuel and not being overly concerned about the fanstop any more. However, if I don't fly for a living and as such, fly much less frequently, does it make any sense? Doesn't a turbine engine require so much more skill and currency that my 6-8 longer trips a year (and some local flights every now and then) simply won't be enough?
  • Leaving that concern aside, how does one actually fly a PA46 (piston or turbine) without buying it outright? It would make most sense for me to find a PA46 for hire or a group with available shares and low fractional ownership - but where the hell are they? Google's lips are sealed.
  • Another thing I imagine is that finding the craft is not everything, is it? Unlike with C172s/PA28s, the owner/operator may require more than a single check-out flight to let me set off in their PA46, especially a JetProp, correct? (even assuming I'm TR'ed and hence have some time on the type)
It is all a little far-fetched but I thought I'd do some basic research before I think of the type rating. I am researching both piston and turbine variants, even though I may later decide that turboprops are an overkill. Any help, thoughts and information will be greatly appreciated. Not to mention a test flight

Thanks,

/h88