PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - CEO at the controls of media-packed demo flight
Old 27th Sep 2013, 06:15
Trackdiamond

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
non pilot handling of a demo flight

I agree...in controlled circumstances it is benign.

Back in 1989, I was a Fleet Planner for a major airline in their Corporate Plañning division.I had numerous liaisons with the aircrft manufturer as my duty called and had intimate technical aNd operational knowledge and had flown but did not have a PPL yet.I was alao a qualified Avionic Engineer.I was planning to. ThswOn a deitch careers to flying the following year.The plane we shortlisted came for a demo.with journalists and other dignitaries.On board was a test pilot and a very experienced co-pilot.From taxin take off and climb I was allowed to sit on the copilot's set and the FO took the jumpseat between us.It was a DEMO...I don't remember touching any control till we were well in the climb to a low level cruise when I was invited to feel the controls.It was a FBW type. It felt like being in a simulator(which I had experienced till that occasion).

Yes it was a major surprise but no horns were blown and it was done in broad day light and even some members of the public observed it...in the cabin was a cocktail party.No big deal really!