PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Firemen Strike
Thread: Firemen Strike
View Single Post
Old 26th Sep 2013, 18:54
The B Word

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Nope, still no bleeding heart here...

Have a look at http://webarchive.nationalarchives.g...refighters.doc

This details NFPS 2006, which they are striking about - yes, a pension that was introduced SEVEN years ago.

From what I read, I see that they accrue at 1/60th of final salary. If they make age 55 they can have a pension which would be 25% acturalily reduced, or make it to 60 and get the lot. If they don't make 55, they still get a pension at age 65 - just like most people. If they fail their fitness test due to ill health and not being too fat and lardy they get a disability pension - depending on whether they can work or not depends on the Tier of their disability pension.

Sounds familiar? Yup its a variation on the military pension that most earn on this Military Aircrew forum.

As for Unions, so just remind me how many successful strikes have there been in the late 20th Century? The Miner's Strike and the British Leyland strikes didn't work out so well for the workforce or the companies did they?

Make no bones, the Firemen will probably reap what they sow. It's a shame really as most firemen are normally salt of the earth types and decent people. Sadly, looking at public support they are getting this massively wrong.

The B Word