PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Blocked Eustachian Tube
View Single Post
Old 26th Sep 2013, 18:35
Mooneyboy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Can't clear pressure in ear is this due to wax build up.

Hello,

I m a full time pilot for a uk airline in my late 20`s.

I was on holiday with my family when i got a pretty straight forward standard cold. Flew back home as a pax a little congested which I did feel in descent but it wasn't that painful just used standard methods to clear my ears which they did after a couple of hours on the ground.

The next few days spent trying to get over the cold. I've pretty much got rid of the cold still a little congestion but the one problem I seem to have is not been able to fully clear pressure from my left ear. The right is fine. Its not painful at all just a pressure which is there 75% of the time. Strangely when I get up in the morning it seems ok less so when I'm upright.

I went to see local gp who said I have a lot of build up of wax in that left ear. Could that be the cause of this pressure sensation or inability to clear that ear? I'm using olive oil to soften up the wax and was perscribed a steroid decongestion nose inhaler.

Does anyone have any advice or knowledge on this as I am concerned that the pax flight has caused damage that might stop me clearing pressure. I hope it is the wax that I can get cleared as I am already calling in sick and really need to get flying soon.

Best regards

Mooneyboy,