PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The US Army At Its Worst!
View Single Post
Old 26th Sep 2013, 16:20
TomJoad

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SASless
No personal insult meant.....but that alone disqualifies you from addressing this situation. Unless and until you have walked in those Boots....you just do not fully understand what it is all about. Classrooms are a far different situation than when you are nose to nose with the bad guys.

With the caveat that we do not have all of the story here I must say I do feel that the 1st Lt has been dealt with harshly. However I do not agree with you SASless when you say "that alone disqualifies you from addressing this situation,,,,,nose to nose with the bad guys". By that very necessity the rules of war including specific ROE must be made by those not involved or nose to nose with the bad guys. What manner of carnage and depravity would we fall into if it were not such. The US Army like the British Army act at the direction of the civil populace not for themselves. They must be held accountable to the rules set by the civil body. Now, do not get me wrong on this, this outcome stinks to high heaven I agree and my heart goes out to this young man who must now feel utterly betrayed by his country. The British Army, with their long experience of policing insurgency in Northern Ireland know only too well the stress of working within what appears to be impossible ROEs. But it is a system that works and it keeps us true. From what I have read about the situation he endured and the decision he made, a similar outcome would have happened had it taken place during the conflict in NI. What I believe should happen now, is that the young man should be granted an immediate pardon and yes, I agree, it is long past time to get out and leave Afghanistan to Afghanistan. Being in command under such circumstances is not a responsibility I would welcome.

Last edited by TomJoad; 26th Sep 2013 at 16:33.