PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - VC10 Retirement
Thread: VC10 Retirement
View Single Post
Old 26th Sep 2013, 13:09
sharpend

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Whilst talking of good trips, I was lucky enough to plan and captain the very last 'Global' trainer with 241 OCU (55 R Sqn). The destinations were: Akrotiri, Bahrain, Colombo, Singapore, Hong Kong, Bali (I think), Mauritius, Bahrain, UK. Two student crews and one set of FIs. The Ten also flew HKG - Kathmandu-HKG with another qualified crew whilst we were 'resting' in HKG!

We were asked if we would take a mate of the Stn Cdr to HK but as the crews were not qualified, the Colonel and his wife had to go as supernumerary crew. When we got to the first night stop (Bahrain) we all got off and the Colonel asked me when the slip crew would be boarding. I told him that we and the VC10 were night stopping, not just in Bahrain, but in Singapore also (2 days). Oh he said. To cut a long story short, when we arrived at his destination (HKG), he asked to stay on all the way round. On the return to Brize, he got a cab to LHR and flew BA back out to HKG!

It was our very last adventure, unfettled by passengers, in our very own private jet! Cannot see that ever happening again.

Last edited by sharpend; 26th Sep 2013 at 13:10.