PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - PNG Airlink job problem
View Single Post
Old 16th Mar 2003, 21:41
Johhny Utah

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down

Pinky, I think you'll find that Col is still the managing director, but is no longer the owner of the company. From memory, it is owned by overseas interests.

Airlink suffer from many of the same problems as most of the other smaller operators in PNG. One of the main ones that affects primarily people who are trying to communicate/liaise from Australia, is that many of the staff of these companies have spent most of their lives in PNG. As a result, things tend to move in a totally different timeframe than the rest of us are accustomed to. In dealing with anything in PNG, it is well advised to (generally) expect long delays, poor service & very little feedback. Unfortunately, this is a systemic problem throughout the whole country, and there is very little that can be done about it...

I think Cleatus is probably fairly close to the mark in his comments below. The company does seem to rush into recruiting, and then seemingly sit around doing very little. Plus, there seems to be a tendency for members of staff to reverse previous decisions for no apparent reason. Work visas are also a huge factor in this equation, and are largely out of the control of anyone at Airlink. However, letting you know what was going on might be a better idea than simply ignoring the problem until it goes away.

I am fully aware that it is their perogative to do so at their will, due to their positions in management. However, I would suggest that this might just be responsible for various staffing problems at Airlink in the past. To suggest any other method will no doubt bring out the classic response of "...when I was at Talair..." - but that's a different story. (By the way, I'm not having a go at Talair by any means - just suggesting that some people might still be living in the gloriy of their past.)

Pressure gradient is the guy to talk to, as he is fairly up to speed with the current situation (although I'd suggest that management might take a 'keen' interest in anything negative he has to post here...)

Just my two cents worth...