PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Commercial airline pilot - A Levels
View Single Post
Old 25th Sep 2013, 23:37
CAT3C AUTOLAND

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I hate to say it, there's a lot of maths involved in Mass+Balance, General Navigation, Performance, and some in the radio stuff, all with formulae that you need to learn.

You have been warned!
Well I am not quite sure what this means, but appears to be a load of nonsense. Yes there is some maths in the subject matter, but it is all very basic and nothing really to worry about, it is pitched around GCSE level.

So do I really need A-Level Maths, can I not reach my dream if I do not study Maths?
The answer to this question is no. The ATPL syllabus is not difficult and as I have mentioned above the level of maths and physics for that matter is pitched around GCSE level. The difficulty of the ATPL course is the sheer volume of work, and the amount you need to absorb.

It does help to have a solid understanding of scientific subjects, it will simply put you in a good place for your future study. If you were planning to apply for a sponsorship then yes, having A Levels in science based subjects is a requirement, but that is simply a requirement to apply for the scheme. A degree would be good too.

Getting your CPL/IR doesnt require you to be academic, dont get me wrong it helps, but is not a requirement to get your licence. What is relevant is the amount of hard work it takes, your commitment and maturity during and AFTER you have finished.

All the best, and enjoy the rest of your PPL, its a lot of fun.