PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - NS Safety improvements?
View Single Post
Old 25th Sep 2013, 22:48
charlieDontSurf

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
NS Safety improvements?

Instead of posting in the "ditched 332"-thread, I'm starting a new thread concentrated on suggestions and views regarding safety of Offshore OPS in the North Sea.

I think that could be useful to us who fly in the NS everyday.

First, I fly from Norway, and have only been in the British sector a few times.

But me and my colleagues often talk about the massive use of radio-calls, and repetition of flight-plan info to many different stations when flying in the British sector.
Compared to the Norwegian sector it seems somewhat overwhelming and one might think it can contribute to a lack of situational awareness when there's too much going on on the radio. I guess one get used to it, as with everyting else, but it seems a bit unneccesary.

Another issue is the practice of hot turn-arounds. We don't do that on-shore in Norway, and we get a little break between the flights.

My thought is that I think I would be a lot more tired after 6-7 hours flying in the UK sector than I am here in Norway.
Fatigue can make people miss a thing or two, that's only human.

Of course, one gets used to everything, but wouldn't it be nice with less chatter on the radio, and a little break between the flights?

That's my first thoughts, and maybe I've got it wrong, but how do you who fly in UK see it?
And do you come up with any other safety-issues?
We are somewhat anonymous here, and it's always good to discuss SOP, and improvements.