PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 28 Notes to select a seat ! !
View Single Post
Old 25th Sep 2013, 21:38
baggersup

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yes, BA began doing this a number of years ago. Not new.

A number of years ago BA clearly went to a system of rewarding their frequent flyers who achieve Silver, Gold and beyond, and have removed the free advance seat selection perk of flying Club World or First (unless you are a fullfare pax in these two classes).

Imagine my surprise a few years ago upon booking my trans-atlantic Club World ticket to be asked for $90 to reserve a seat before the 24-hour online checkin!

And if you want to sit on the upper deck, it's something like $120 per seat.

I was shocked when it happened, but that's when the dime dropped (no pun intended). BA reward frequent travel with free seat selection, not a class of travel. If you aren't a silver or gold and are traveling business or First, seat selection is an additional cost. Same as economy.

They have other ways to get this message across, as well. Like guesting in a fellow traveller into the Club World or First lounges. As a boarding card carrying Club World traveller I cannot guest anybody in.

However, if you hold the cheapest damned ticket BA sell domestically and are a silver, you can guest somebody in.

Traveling class means nothing on the extras at BA now: Only frequency of travels rates with them.

This is their current business model and they must be happy with it. And one some level I understand it, because they've cheapened their product so much in the last few years in terms of access to premium cabins through Tesco card shopping, that they had to reform their perks and use another guage.

Last edited by baggersup; 25th Sep 2013 at 21:43.