PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - CEO at the controls of media-packed demo flight
Old 25th Sep 2013, 16:22
Bumps

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Björn Kjos is indeed licensed (former ex-mil) but most likely not type rated. But if the guy in the RHS was a training Captain I don't see the problem. Doesn't Airbus or other OEM's do these kinds of demo-flights with potential buyers head of flight ops/management/chief pilots all the time? Not to mention when the PIC needs the restroom the FO is usually left alone with an FA in the LHS, albeit not flying obviously.

I suppose one could make the argument that this was unwise due to the 50 pax/press that were on board, which makes this a slightly different case than a normal VIP demo flight.

But in all honesty, I don't think it's a big deal and certainly not something to make a fuss about. If they put Bruce Dickinson up to takeoff and land an A320 w/o a type rating or sim training, or that dutch guy that was put up to land a 737 w/o even having a flying license, there's certainly no harm in letting a licensed pilot play around with a 787 at 16,000 feet. Unless, of course, the thing catches on fire.