PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Diesel engines
Thread: Diesel engines
View Single Post
Old 25th Sep 2013, 14:51
A and C

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Myths ?

As usual there is a lot of uninformed comment about Diesel engines ( not thankfully on this thread yet!), on the whole the technology had matured to the state that I would put a Theilert engine in a PA28.

On the whole they are now reliable and have the support of a maintenance organization that understands the engine. Changing the gearbox is not a big job and I am sure that the life will be extended just as it was with the clutch.

The only warning I would issue is that you should only undertake this convention if you intend to do a lot of flying, the new engine will not pay for its self on a low utilization aircraft.

I suspect that Bose-X had flown the 135 HP aircraft, a 150 HP engine is now available and I think that the extra HP will solve most of the problems.

That having been said the aircraft that will benefit the most from the diesel is the Robin DR400, as it has a wing that is better suited for flight at higher altitudes and the ability of the diesel to maintain power up to 12,000 ft due to the turbocharger it should make for a good long distance aircraft.

Last edited by A and C; 25th Sep 2013 at 14:58.