PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Faa Atpl
Thread: Faa Atpl
View Single Post
Old 16th Mar 2003, 18:15
togabutton

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Piece of Cake

I did exactly what you want to do last year - I had a South African ATP and came over to the States to get an FAA ATP.

As long as within your 2400 hours you meet the hour requirements as laid out above by another friendly poster and you have a valid ICAO CPL or ATPL then you will be good to go, provided:

You write the ATP exam or knowledge test as they call it here(very easy) - buy one of the publications that has all the exam questions and answers.

Take a ATP checkride with an FAA designated check airman in the aircraft you are doing your training on. Bear in mind that if you do the checkride in a muli-engine plane, then you will get an FAA ATP with only the multi-engine land rating. To fly singles you also need to do a flight test in a single. This happened to me. I did a Boeing 737 type rating test in a B737 sim and ended up with an FAA ATP that only allowed me to fly multi-engine aircraft. I then got a job on caravans and had to go take a check ride in any single (I used a C172) before being given a single engine land rating.

As stated earlier, if you try validate your licence, you will only be given a FAA PPL. Skip that step and go straight to the flight training and ATP check ride.

Bring your logbooks and be prepared to show the FAA that you have the hours to meet the requirements for the FAA ATP.

Check your PM

Last edited by togabutton; 17th Mar 2003 at 01:24.