PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - CARDIFF - 2
Thread: CARDIFF - 2
View Single Post
Old 25th Sep 2013, 12:54
bristolflyer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I accept it's a spotters dream and it will never happen, but infrastructure planning is non-existent in the UK. The Government look at a problem do nothing, a capacity crisis occurs and then they set up an inquiry. The practical result is sticking plaster "improvements" which in reality is one more security booth and a WHSmith kiosk. A joint regional airport would attract more passengers from up the M5 and M4 and more inward business due to better road/rail links. I suspect if such an airport existed today it could well be handling up to 9 - 10 million pax. It would certainly have an Emirates flight! Neither Cardiff or Bristol are in good locations. I certainly wonder where Bristol will be in 20 years. The plan is for up to 10 million per year. Beyond that I can't see that there is any geographical room for expansion as the footprint of the airfield is so small......doubtless that will be the time for another capacity inquiry to dodge difficult decisions! I would be interested to know how the demographics have changed over the years. If Cardiff could sustain the Travel City Ops where did all those people go? Three times a week to Orlando is a lot of pax. According to most travel companies people are travelling more and more. Do they just go to Gatwick now? I have fond memories as a child watching the Wardair 747 at CWL.

Last edited by bristolflyer; 25th Sep 2013 at 12:59.