PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - LUTON - 7
Thread: LUTON - 7
View Single Post
Old 25th Sep 2013, 12:39
gilesdavies

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Haven't Monarch used an A330 & Thomson a 767 in the past?
Yes Monarch did operate charters on behalf of Airtours in 2000 and 2001, but I think 9/11 signed the end of this route. From what I recall it was quite successful, but after this Airtouurs focussed back on using their own metal on long haul routes and primarily from LGW, BHX and MAN.

I remember been told, the aircraft was weight restricted and had about 30 seats blocked out, but that was the days of lower fuel costs and airlines could afford to that.

Those were the days when Airtours also had a DC-10 based here.

When TOM flew to MCO with the 767's to guarantee a direct flight outbound it had to use either G-BYAA/AB which had the CF6-80C2 engines (hardly ideal from an operational standpoint) The Orlando market for charter carriers was stronger then as it was before VS & BA moved in with a lot of capacity.
Are G-BYAA/AB the old 767-200's?

I think if Thomson really did want to fly from Luton, the 767-300's could operate non-stop to Florida without an issue... Thomson operate this type of aircraft from Bristol to Sanford non-stop in both directions, despite the short 6000ft runway. But the longer routes to Mexico and the Caribbean are flown via Manchester to top up on fuel.
(Happy to be corrected.)

Anyway back to reality... I think we need to face facts, that any long haul ops are not going to happen from the airport anytime soon... For all the charter airlines Gatwick is the primary base for London and the south of England for long haul ops, as is Manchester for the North. Unfortunately regardless of being HQ for Thomson and Monarch this has little baring on their decisions these days. With only a smattering of popular long haulers from the main regional airports.

Despite London being in the airports name, Luton is really treated by Thomson as a regional airport for the charter market it serves, with it reflecting pretty much the same short haul destinations and frequencies as the likes Bristol, Cardiff, East Midlands, Birmingham, Newcastle and Glasgow.

Last edited by gilesdavies; 25th Sep 2013 at 12:50.