PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ryanair - 9
Thread: Ryanair - 9
View Single Post
Old 25th Sep 2013, 11:45
pee

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think the down-trend in Ryanair's popularity might be more pronounced than we expected. What I've just learned, the HHN - TMP route, formerly a great runner, will be also suspended! This route used to be one of the best routes from HHN, traditionally one with the extraordinary LF's and yield, taking one of the top routes in local (HHN) statistics. Look what's happening, this route became much less popular now, not enough to continue, a very momentous issue for me.

Not sure if you use the term "litmus test" as a metaphor, but here we have an example. Finnish customers' behaviour could be used as an early indicator of those of a general Western-European population. In a way Finns are more sensitive, vulnerable, susceptible. The more mistrust arises from the media and the more we encounter all this insane "standing places" or "toilet savings" propaganda, the clearer drop of interest in using the carrier. More prudent, less price-sensitive? I don't know, but that seems to be the case. Why do I think so? Well, there are e.g. fundamental differences between Tampere (where Finns are the majority of passengers) and Lappeenranta (most of passengers come from St. Petersburg, Finns are just some 20% or so). In the same period TMP results are deteriorating, LPP constantly excellent. Maybe I'm putting the cat among the pigeons right now, but please don't get me wrong, I do not try to categorize the passengers as "better" or "worse", nothing of that kind. That should serve as an indicator and maybe as warning as well. Beware what and to whom are you talking and how do you treat your customers, it can influence your popularity in the way you probably didn't expect. The choice of any carrier's future routes and destinations as well.