PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Engine out terrain clearance
View Single Post
Old 25th Sep 2013, 10:14
BARKINGMAD

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BRAIN FADE.

"Concerning your std setting of altimeter,yes there are times when some non standard actions are needed as the sops cant be written for every scenario possible but in your case,i doubt the noise abatement should take over the setting of your altimeter ...but you did the right thing to request clarification and thats how manuals evolve or get too fat
Im curious as what is your transition altitude/preferred noise (A/B/1/2) and SID level off FL?"

1) NA procedure will not take precedent over stop alt/FL, too much grief and paperwork after-I'll argue over the fine!

2) TA varies with the places I fly, SOP is to change asap if low level off FL.

3) Noise procedues are variable depending on dep airport, not permitted a preference.

4) As per the original query, I find it difficult to believe a professional pilot and their peers could write this into the manual!

My old brain begins to creak as I get airborne with MFRA, power cutback, acceleration/cleanup initiation, transition altitude, safety altitude and stop alt/FL all whirring around inside. 2 of these are displayed, MFRA on the PFD and stop alt/FL on the MCP, but the rest are on a piece of paper on control column/chart clip.

Is this really a sensible way to run a railway?