PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - DURHAM TEES VALLEY AIRPORT - 5
View Single Post
Old 25th Sep 2013, 07:41
Piltdown Man

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What really surprises me about this thread is that it still continues. MME's local catchment population is too small and insufficiently wealthy enough to support what it has, let alone any expansion. Also, because this airport is (geographically) stuck between two airports with larger local populations (LBA & NCL) it will always be smaller unless it can offer something the others lack. And what could that be? Answer that, and its future is secured. I'll tell you in advance it's not capacity.

However, I'll give a couple of suggestions. Firstly, someone should take a trip to Linköping City Airport. It's run by a single team who perform check-in, loading, marshalling, fire-fighting, cleaning, ops control etc. Each person is not only capable of multiple tasks, but actually performs them during a turnaround. Having fewer, more capable, employees reduces operating costs to an acceptable level. Employing more people on minimum wages serves no useful purpose. Secondly, how about changing the way the airport generates income? Dump the development fee and aircraft landing fees and instead make money on car and vehicle entry and parking. Charge concessions a percentage on their gross margin and give free rent. Encourage airlines to operate from MME because they can operate for there for free. Take a leaf from MOL's book and make money from everything else. Business has to be allowed to grow at minimal cost.

In its current form it's dying a slow death.

PM