PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Engine out terrain clearance
View Single Post
Old 25th Sep 2013, 05:08
de facto

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Defacto, You seem to believe every thing told you so must be young
It'd think you would know what my screen name means...but obviously not

Yes I went to our chief pilot and told him our new sop into TGU would mean we couldn't land 90% of the time because we needed to exceed 1000 fpm to land unless we had at least a 15knot headwind
Are you talking about sink rate issue at low altitude?well in that case it is not forbidden if briefed prior...your chief pilot should have had this included in your sops or training for this particular airport.

He agreed and just said just keep doing it the way we have always done it so sop is a guideline, not a law. In the future don't be so negative about us old guys. We survived a career with no scratches. Hope you do too.
I aint negative at all about old folks,i am negative about people who bull their crews about doing some non standard maneuver unbriefed,unapproved based on some personal assumptions...
I do know the difference between guidelines and law,however most guidelines come from the law...and disregarding sops in general treating them as mere guidelines is a state of mind that i deplore.

Many accidents result from loss of situational awareness,and following sops,especially in an emergency is a very important tool to maintain this awareness.

The nasty places, IMHO, have low hills close in which don't look that forbidding until you lose a donk. MSAs may not be particularly high compared with the airfield altitude but you still have to get there. ZRH comes to mind as somewhere that has seen more than its fair share of accidents, both on departure and approach.
Innsbruck was a 'fun' place to go...

Last edited by de facto; 25th Sep 2013 at 05:16.