PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Scandal or not? CAA rejects AAIB criticism and safety recommendations!
Old 16th Mar 2003, 16:25
B47

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nothing, but nothing, is more important than this issue.

The hypocrisy and inconsistency of the CAA's position can be well illustrated by the AD issued last year to all Bell 47 operators. One or two cracks were found in main rotor grips (to the best of my knowledge the first in over thirty years on several thousand B47s) and the life of the component was halved, effectively grounding all B47s that had grips over TSN 1200 hours. It necessitated the replacement of such grips at a cost of £8k a set and caused a world-wide shortage in the process. Leaving aside the arguable justification for this AD, my point is that the practical evidence of this problem i.e. one or two ships, was substantially less in number than those 269s known to have had the clevis lug cracks.

Why not the same reaction from the CAA to the 269 problem that if ignored will result in deaths on average every four years?

I have no useful knowledge of the 269 but perhaps the B47 illustration may be of use to illuminate the CAA's ridiculous stance on this. It's shameful and their desperation to avoid direct criticism over what we all understand to be the purpose of a CofA is transparent.