PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - QF near miss over Great Australian Bight
View Single Post
Old 24th Sep 2013, 20:48
Andu

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ahhh... Australian ATC...

It's probably worth repeating the hoary old tale of the United pilot departing Sydney on his last flight before retirement who took the time to thank Sydney ATC and telling them that they were "...the second best ATC in the world".

The ATCO thanked him for his kind words and after a brief pause, asked: "Just out of interest, who's the best?", to which the American replied: "The rest of the world."

Australian ATC - at least in the opinion of this one Australian pilot, who spent the first 20 years of his flying career flying mostly within Australia and the second 20 years flying mostly on international routes all over the world (that included frequent trips to Australia) - is the only air traffic system that seems to consider itself the end user and not the aeroplanes it really thinks it 'controls' rather than provides a service to. All too often, their attitude seemed to me to be that the whole system would operate far more to their liking if it wasn't messed up by those annoying aeroplanes that cluttered up their airspace.

Sorry gents and ladies of Australian ATC, but I can assure you, that is how you are perceived by the vast majority of the non-Australian pilots with whom I flew.