PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - IMC Theory
Thread: IMC Theory
View Single Post
Old 24th Sep 2013, 14:27
BackPacker

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
There was a morse code question but all morse is at the bottom right of the chart so that's an easy mark!
So you noticed that too, eh? It's like that question on the PPL exam where you were given a METAR to interpret, and are asked for the current visibility. One of the multiple choice answers was along the lines of "it's totally irrelevant as it's yesterdays METAR". You then check the date and realize that that is indeed the correct answer.

Anyway, I remember one of the questions I got wrong. It was about the degrees of accuracy of a "class B VDF steer" (or QDM response, or something like that). I guessed the answer wrong and when the examiner told me that I got that question wrong, I remember saying "Don't know, don't care". The examiner just nodded.

A few questions on privileges/validity of the rating.
Oh, and something else. You might get questions about the minima on non-precision and precision approaches. The people who wrote the exams somehow assume that the 250' and 200+50' additions are not recommendations, but are legally required additions. This means that, for instance on a question about an ILS approach, you need to use the minima from the plate, add 200' for your IMC and 50' for altimeter error, and that becomes the minima you need to use on the exam.

However these additions are not a legal requirement, so in real life you can legally descend to the minima on the plate. (Whether you have enough skills and confidence to do so is a different matter though - the recommendations are there for a reason.)

At least, the above was the case with my exam set. I remember discussions on here about whether these additions are recommendations or requirements, and I asked the examiner specifically beforehand what minima the IMC exam would expect me to use.

Last edited by BackPacker; 24th Sep 2013 at 14:38.