PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - uk flight training, long beach,california
Old 16th Mar 2003, 13:30
pilotwolf

Helicopter Pilots Get It Up Quicker

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Can't comment on the particular school, but..

I ve done the majority of my flying/training form LGB, not been in the last 18mths or so however, not to fly at least. In total been back about a dozen times now.

Good place to learn, it's a fairly busy airfield and you'll be training alongside commericial jet operations at a controlled field - good experience if you intend flying in busy areas later. It's also one of the busiest GA airfields around - usually 3 runways in operation at anyone time plus the three helicopter training pads.

Tower staff excellent, well used to dealing with students - mostly very helpful and very patient.

The surrounding areas are good for training as it is possible to be in uncontrolled airspace withinin minutes or dealing with the LAX traffic depending on your wishes!

Weather tends to be good most of the year, southerly winds tend to cause a few problems as they are uncommon and seem to confuse everyone! I suffered a few days of dense fog in the early morning - but it soon burns off and a few days were unflyable, (rotary), due to wind and heavy rain. The LA smog layer takes a bit of getting use to!

Good facilities on and around the airfield - nice eateries - nice beaches - plenty of night life - above all it safe on the streets as long as you are sensible. I would suggest hiring a car - you ll need it to get around, especially if you intend sightseeing or visiting the theme parks - you WILL want/need a break from training at some point.

If you are interested, depending on how long you are planning on staying, I could probably fix you up with accomodation in a local home,(20 mins drive), for about $120 a week - own room, shower, etc. PM if you are interested, they are friends of mine so no business interest on my part!

PW