PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - PIA pilot suspended at LBA for violating rules!
Old 24th Sep 2013, 09:18
SetStandard

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I agree. This thread is about alcohol, but the part I take issue with is
Going by the number of pilots arrested and convicted for being intoxicated when on duty then yes, it is a problem.
when there are far bigger issues in this industry.

Im all for random tests, I have no problem with them at all. There is a set limit in all countries for blood alcohol level, it varies by different country and it is our job to comply with that level. If you suspect that you are anywhere near close to the limit, then you call in sick, that is basic common sense and airmanship. Just remember though that two individuals being tested in different countries can blow the same level of blood alcohol, but one is under the limit and one is "drunk" - go figure??

From the 8 years I have been in this industry it is not a problem. Fatigue, thats a problem. Fatigue just gets swept under the carpet though because we have Flight Time Limitations that some one has decided will give us enough rest. So alls fine and dandy then. No accidents with fatigue as a contributing factor.

Report sick, ASR it. Trouble is that takes courage and the individual taking some personal responsibility doesn't it?
Wrong. It takes the individual not working for a company where they only get paid when they fly. And the individual not needing that money in the bank at the end of the month to pay for their families. In some companies, you don't go to work; you don't get paid. Thats a whole other different topic though I hear you say.....