PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Engine out terrain clearance
View Single Post
Old 24th Sep 2013, 07:50
BOAC
Per Ardua ad Astraeus

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Jammed - in my experience the 'climb straight ahead' (ie no specific OEI track specified) ceases, as JT says, at 1500 AAL/clean. There is a requirement in the regs for operators to establish terrain clearance routes on departure until en-route or return MSA can be achieved but again in my experience very few operators do this.

Again it is down to 'airmanship'. A few of your options are to remain above Circling minima with the circling area (NB 'Old' TERPS!!! - ie pretty well impossible), climb to the 25 nm MSA as per de F. (within 30nm!!) or climb to en-route MSA on the en-route track. For options 2 and 3 you are, of course, without sufficient terrain information outside the assumed 1500' point UNLESS you have studied a map or adequate chart. It is as well to know!

I had a giggle on a line check in my last airline at a Canadian airfield a few years back with a disagreement with a well-known 'Ozzie' TC who insisted I was wrong and that I could manoeuvre with 4.2nm of the runway at or above Cat C Circ. Minima.....until I gently pointed out this was a TERPS airfield.....................