PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - CORK - 5
Thread: CORK - 5
View Single Post
Old 23rd Sep 2013, 15:23
Cyrano

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Vapor
I know that the topography challenges the potential installation of a Cat 3 ILS but surely if Leeds Bradford can do it so could Cork.
I think there is easily a financial justification for it considering the amount of disruption it causes every year.
What would that financial justification look like? I'm not being smart, I'm genuinely trying to think what that would look like. A Cat 3 ILS installation is not going to come cheap even before consideration of topography.

IAA (reasonably) wouldn't invest unless they could see a return on their investment through higher terminal navigation charges - but the terminal nav charge is regulated by CAR and is the same for Dublin, Cork and Shannon.

DAA might decide to invest in the equipment in order to improve reliability - but would it then be acceptable for them to put up landing charges at Cork to pay for this?

Plus - and others will know much more about this than me - Cat 3 ILS at the airport is only useful if the aircraft is equipped for it and the crew are trained and current.