PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Chinese built Nanchang CJ-6 Crash Landing [video]
Old 23rd Sep 2013, 00:04
Pace

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i know we look at a clip like that and think what an idiot but its so easy to do!
Lack of concentration a distraction?
I remember flying into an airfield between two hills in a seneca five I had another pilot with me and the weather was atrocious.
visibility awful, Low scud cloud.
On final a few hundred feet up i peered into the gloom for the runway which came in sight! Dropped the gear went for full flap.
we went into cloud, the runway vanished and I was IMC between two hills in a valley.
" No Good going around!" My pilot friend used to a multi crew operation raised the gear at the precise moment that we came out of the cloud with the runway 200 feet below in very poor viz.
I know descended peering to keep the runway in view. Something did not feel right and as I flared to land that feeling that something was not right grew stronger I peered down to see no Greens and it dawned on me the gear was up although I had put it down.
I went full power pulling the nose up in a go around barely feet off the runway expecting the props to hit anytime!
My multi crew pilot friend had in that instant raised the gear for me and forgot to mention it! I was so intent on looking for the runway I did not notice and we came inches from hitting the props so beware its easy to do

Pace