PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Guimbal Cabri G2
View Single Post
Old 22nd Sep 2013, 20:46
John R81

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So, had a flight and a burger (in that order - always thinking "weight & Balance"). She is in truth a beauty.

I would have preferred fuel injection to remove potential carb-ice but the automated electric system is very interesting. Electronic ignition plus magneto means that it is both safe and also fuel-efficient (compared to the R22).

Comfort levels were good (5ft 11 and 90 kg) and the cabin is pretty spacious for 2. Instruments are excellent, and I particularly liked the LED landing light which meant this machine is day / night VFR without any additional lighting kit. Pop-out float kit available, I am told.

I like the belt tensioning approach - move the engine by engine-oil hydraulic pressure. Very quick engagement / disengagement. Placing the engine "backwards" means that you can get to the oil filler to check / fill.

In hover & flight, if you can fly an EC120 this machine is a dream. If anything you need to be a little quicker with "right foot" (than an EC120)due to "instant" torque change from a petrol engine but the 2,500rpm tail rotor is effective; I understand that the machine has been tested in winds to 50knt, though it was a still day today. It is very stable, though. In forward flight - like the EC120 - the tail fan provides little / no anti-torque as the fin takes over. If you are used to US machines then some familiarisation with fenestron tail will be part of the conversion training.

I de-selected the force trim (hat up 2-sec, then left 2-sec) and found the machine much better to fly after that (for me). No hydraulics, so a little heavier than the EC120 / R44 but no problem. She is very, very stable for a small machine. Rate climb and cruise speed are good, noise levels are low and the visibility is fantastic.

I had a go a at "waltzing" the machine along the airfield (torque-spin and travel) and found her to be eminently controllable, with less fore-aft cyclic input than required for the same manoeuver in the EC120. I get the impression that if you do lose yaw control for real the rate of rotation is likely to be very high though and a "chop throttle" might be the most appropriate response, given the rotor momentum (higher ratio to weight than a Jet Ranger)!

Not a problem for me, but coming in to the HLS, be aware that you should be ahead of the machine in yaw control because the contribution of the tail fin reduces as airspeed drops. If you allow left-yaw to develop (inadequate right foot) then as you slow the problem must get worse. If you don't contain the yaw adequately then when the angle of attack on the tail gets beyond (20 degrees?) there will be sudden loss of tail effect which might lead to a torque-induced spin. Stay ahead of things and there is no problem - the tail fan is adequate if you are flying the machine right.

Safety is very much improved, both in terms of crash-resistant seats / cabin / skids but also fantastic rotor energy (carbon blades, but tip weights) for such a small machine. I would be happy to fly this (not actually prepared to fly an R22 myself, though an R44 is fine).

John

EDITED TO ADD: It seems there will be a G2 available for flight training at Redhill from November. I will probably go for a type rating and then I can have some fun.

Last edited by John R81; 22nd Sep 2013 at 20:47.