PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gaining An R.A.F Pilots Brevet In WW II
View Single Post
Old 22nd Sep 2013, 20:27
BEagle

Received 271 Likes on 110 Posts
I think the explanation you youngsters offered to enquirers might have derived from a rather ungalant reference to the supposed BMI of the Aeroflot hosties !
When I was involved in the Gorbachev / Thatcher meeting at Brize, I was one of the 'assistants' for the first Aeroflot Il62 crew. The 40 passengers, all KGB in matching raincoats, trooped off to the 'Gateway' for a luxury lunch.... We then provided NOTAMs etc. for the crew and chatted whilst waiting for the KGB chaps to finish lunch. The senior Russian stewardess asked if we'd like coffee; initially she had rather a stern 'Rosa Klebb' expression, but when we thanked her for the kind offer, she became more of a prep school matron or favourite great aunt, broke into a happy smile and arranged for the coffee to be brought to us. Whereupon half a dozen gorgeous giggly stewardesses appeared with (very good) coffee and sinfully rich Russian choccy.

So no, Aeroflot hosties aren't all built like Siberian tractor mechanics!

One requirement of the Yanks was that each aircraft had to have an American navigator on board in order to enter US airspace. 'Our' navigator (a lady) duly arrived and we heard much happy laughter from the flight deck. "What's the issue - surely you've had women in your air force since the Great Patriotic War?", I asked Aeroflot Yuri, my Russian interpreter. "Da - we do. But not many look like her!", he answered. It was true that the US navigator was rather a honey - maybe deliberately chosen to put the Russians at ease?

The Gorbachev / Thatcher visit was truly a fascinating day.

Last edited by BEagle; 22nd Sep 2013 at 20:32.