PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Seat only on charter flight
View Single Post
Old 22nd Sep 2013, 18:53
davidjohnson6

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts
Seat only on charter flight

Thomas Cook are running charter flights from multiple places in the UK to an airport in the EU next year - I would like to catch one of these flights. There are no scheduled flights between the UK and the destination airport in question.

I realise that the purpose of a charter flight is to take package holiday makers to their week away and boost the profits of the holiday organiser. I would however like to buy a one-way flight if possible, but so far have been given a 'not interested in you' response by junior sales clerks. Not unreasonable as they are in the business of selling package holidays.

Clearly in peak season, trying to buy a one-way seat on a charter flight is a waste of time but in low or shoulder season, there are presumably seats available. Are there any rules or laws that make it difficult for a holiday firm selling one way charter seats without accommodation ? Note - this is from the UK to an EU airport - not talking about anywhere like Egypt, India or North Cyprus where other rules may apply. Any specific commercial constraints that would motivate the holiday firm ? If no reasons not to sell spare seat capacity, is there an accepted way of trying to purchase just a seat quietly ?

I know Monarch sometimes sell seats on Avro flights, but alas in this case, they're not the operator.

Last edited by davidjohnson6; 23rd Sep 2013 at 00:28.